[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Karl-May-Forum • View topic - New Edition Of Reiner Boller’s ‘Winnetou-Melodie’?

Karl-May-Forum

The first English language forum dedicated to one of the most enigmatic and successful German writers of all time
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:13 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: New Edition Of Reiner Boller’s ‘Winnetou-Melodie’?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:58 am 

On several Karl May related web-sites, there have been announcements that a new edition of Reiner Boller’s biography of Martin Böttcher, with new material, was to be released to the market in July of this year. Indeed, the publisher, Gryphon Verlag, have an announcement on their web-page:

However, this book is not yet listed on Amazon Germany (the out-of-print 2005 edition is the only one listed). An internet search of the ISBN turns up only the Gryphon Verlag sub-page for the book:

Does any-one know when the new book will be available, and from what source? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:36 am 
The new edition of the Martin Boettcher biography has only been released a short 2 weeks ago (if that). It will take some time for the book info to go through all the channels - the same goes for Amazon (with some channels it takes several weeks). Although I'm not quite familiar with Amazon.de - it should become available fairly soon - I'll ask Reiner and will post his reply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:23 am 
Reiner Boller has just informed me that, indeed, and contrary to my earlier postulation, this particular publisher does not sell through Amazon - the Martin Boettcher biography is only available from the publisher above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:51 am 

Many thanks for the information, Marlies (and Reiner)! :D I have been waiting to place an order from Amazon Germany (for, amongst other things, the new German DVD set of ‘Mein Freund Winnetou’), because I wanted to include Reiner’s book in the order. Now I can simply place the Amazon order, and place a separate order at Gryphon Verlag. I must say that this news is surprising, since the out-of-print edition of ‘Winnetou-Melodie’ is listed by Amazon Germany. I presume that Gryphon Verlag have changed their policies in the interim.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:16 am 
just a little post script to the Martin Boettcher biography anniversary edition ...

A pertinent but 'concealed' connection between Karl May and Australia ... as some may know Joachim Fuchsberger is one of Europes most-loved TV show hosts (he is the same age as Mr. Boettcher - I fondly remember growing up with his shows on TV) who calls Australia his second home; he is also a passionate 'Australien-Documentarist'.
Mr. Fuchsberger's autobiography is paired with Reiner Boller's biography of Martin Boettcher who composed the beautiful Winnetou Melodies for the Karl May movies (with Birthday Greetings from 'downunder' included); the feature has a nice Australian 'air' about it ...

http://www.filmstart.biz/archiv_buecher ... odie.shtml

As an aside:

I've detailed a selection of Karl May's mentioning of Australia within his writings in our sister forum, here
http://www.karl-may-stiftung.de/diskuss ... 4&start=15

scroll to >>25.09.2007, 02:05<<
- in German only -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:11 am 

Very interesting connexions all around! :o Alas, very little television programming from Europe has made it to English-speaking countries, particularly the U.S. and Canada. :( This was not surprising in the past, but to-day, with hundreds of cable or satellite television channels available, there should be more interchange. :cry:

However, Mr Fuchsberger is also a cinema actor, as mentioned in the article you cited, and I saw several of his films many years ago. I recently received the “Lex Barker Collection” DVD box set from Germany. In one of the two films included (both Westerns), “Wer Kent Jonny R.?” (U.S. title “Who Killed Johnny R.?”), 1966, Mr Fuchsberger co-stars with Barker. While I am sure I saw this film decades ago, I have not yet got to this DVD in the stack of films awaiting viewing.

By the way, the other film in the set is “Die Hölle Von Manitoba” (U.S. title “A Place Called Glory”), 1965, in which Pierre Brice co-stars with Barker—but not as Winnetou! This is a delightful film, and I will not spoil the surprise :shock: in the story for others by describing the plot. Those who must know, without seeing the film, can look on the IMDB.

Mr Fuchsberger starred in another film of interest to Karl May Forum readers: “Der Letzte Mohikaner” (U.S. title “The Last Tomahawk”), 1965, directed by the great Harald Reinl, who directed several of the Winnetou films of the 1960s, and who created their style and spirit (apart from the Karl May spirit—and Martin Böttcher’s music—that also infused them, of course!). This film is an adaptation of James Fenimore Cooper’s “The Last of the Mohicans”, reset in the later Wild West. It has been long desired on DVD by fans, and I am pleased to report that a wide-screen DVD will be available on 9 November (in Germany). :)

Thank you for that link. :D

And to return to the discussion topic, I can say that Reiner Boller’s book, “Winnetou-Melodie: Martin Böttcher—die Biographie”, is a wonderful resource! 8)

Last edited by Philip Colston on Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Karl May mentioning Australia
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:14 am 
Site Admin

Karl May mentioned Australia as well in his Winnetou - Winnetou III. Zuercher Ausgabe 1996, page 111: "You keep shouting as if this should be heard over there in Australia..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:58 am 
Indeed! I've only placed a selection of the many 'mentions' of Australia in the thread in the sister forum (much less than half) - I can recommend the 'Works-CD' from the Karl-May-Stiftung - May's entire body of work at the press of a button - wonderful! (Especially if no spare shelves in a small house could accommodate an entire library :wink: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:32 am 

Now, that was an informative message! I had looked several times at the items listed on the Trading Post here (the Karl-May-Stiftung, for readers who may not be aware of the providers of this forum), but I neglected to check the CD section. :oops: The Karl Mays Werke CD is a treasure! :shock: And, at €49.90, it is a bargain too. My list of things to order from Germany is constantly expanding. :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:02 am 
I might have to add that the Works-CD is ONLY in German language, as Karl May only wrote in German (except one French piece, on the French-German 'inter-country' relationship in his era) ... but for those who read German and are interested in Karl May, an absolute must - I couldn't continue in my research and translation projects now without the Werke-CD. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:12 pm 

Yes, it was wise of you to add that critical bit of information :o ; even in the Trading Post listing, this is implied but not stated outright, since the products are aimed at a German-speaking market. I hope that I have not misled any-one. :oops: However, since the works are in an electronic form, I presume that it would be possible to employ a “translation” programme. I used the quotation marks because these programmes do not translate in anything near the way a translating author would do it. In fact, the product of a translation programme will very often be gibberish (or will seem correct, but may in fact be entirely wrong!). :shock: But if an individual has some grasp of German, and refers back and forth between the two versions, it is possible to do quite well. I hasten to add that reading in this manner is for informative or research purposes only. It is not at all an effective method for properly enjoying works of literature. For this, in the case of Karl May, we are fortunate indeed to have at our disposal a great many beautiful translations, from you (Marlies), and the translators working through Nemsi Books. 8) And to think that just a few years ago, there was almost nothing of Karl May readily available in English (and nothing at all in terms of accurate translations based on May’s original manuscripts)!