[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Karl-May-Forum • View topic - A star for Lex Barker

Karl-May-Forum

The first English language forum dedicated to one of the most enigmatic and successful German writers of all time
It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 5:50 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: A star for Lex Barker
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:03 am 

Please help:

www.petitiononline.com/lb2003/petition.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:17 pm 
many might be surprised at this ... but ... believe it or not ... Lex Barker has NO star on the Walk of Fame in Hollywood. He's one of the all-time greats of Hollywood - Tarzan in America, Old Shatterhand in Europe - he's done his 'tour of duty' in more ways than one.
Kermit the Frog has a star, Lassie, and so does Johnny Weissmuller (the Tarzan before Lex Barker) -- let's have one for Lex Barker too.
Follow Reiner Boller's link to the petition for Hollywood.
Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:07 am 

This is a wonderful idea! I have signed, and will admit that I was indeed surprised that Lex Barker had no star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. He certainly deserves one. Perhaps an announcement of the petition could be added to the Lex Barker web-site:

Thank you, Reiner, for creating this petition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:12 am 

:oops: ........I just noticed that the Lex Barker web-site does in fact have a mention of the petition, in the “Links” section........ :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:11 am 

There is a remarkable 17-page (as of 16 July) discussion of the matter of Lex Barker and his lack of a deserved star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, in the “Saloon” section of the German version of this forum:

The discussion was initiated by Marlies, and in it, she has been a dauntless champion for Mr Barker. English-speaking readers can use Google’s translation engine for help in reading the messages.

It was a bit dismaying to see such a low regard for Barker and also for the Winnetou films. While I can understand that people who love particular books are often disappointed with film versions that are unfaithful, I have wondered why, when a film is a beautiful work of art on its own terms, many fans of the source book can not appreciate it at all.

What struck me most of all in the discussion, however, was a comment by Marlies. In essence, she suggested that: whatever Karl May fans may think of the Winnetou films, they should be grateful for Lex Barker’s portrayal of Old Shatterhand, for this character is also Karl May himself. At a time when May’s reputation was still clouded by hateful, ideological attacks, Barker presented to the world Old Shatterhand/Karl May as a wonderful exemplar of moral rectitude, courage, friendliness, ability, and even physical perfection.

Lex Barker and Pierre Brice are Old Shatterhand and Winnetou. It is impossible to imagine any other actors who could so completely capture these characters. So perfect and thoroughly internalised were their portrayals that the blood-brotherhood between the characters radiates from the screen without the need of word or action.

Karl May fans should thank their lucky stars—every day—for Lex Barker and Pierre Brice, two really wonderful actors who, by a serendipitous turn of events, and inspired casting, were given the opportunity both to create art of enduring beauty—and to do more for Karl May and his legacy than all of the treasure in Silver Lake, and all of the gold on Nugget-Tsil, could have purchased.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:36 am 
My week was taken up by a few other issues (not the least of them was my research into Karl May's Horses - see other thread / as well as proof reading 'the rest' of the Old Surehand saga), so I have been conspicuous by my absence a little ... I just read Philip's short essay on the Lex Barker thread in the German Language Forum. Thanks for summing it up in such a concise manner - it is a strange phenomena ... so many years later, both the Karl May works and the 1960s Winnetou movies are seeing a kind of revival - and this time in a 'new' realm - the English speaking world. It is an entirely peculiar experience, finding that in this age of 'no new frontiers', there actually is one for Karl May - the English Language - as I said to some new friends I've made in the past week 'it's a lot of fun for me'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:43 am 
Lex Barker and the 'Walk of Fame'

In 2008 Lex Barker will again be nominated for the awarding of a star on the 'Walk of Fame' in Hollywood. Fingers crossed! In the meantime, movie town Kanab in Utah has honoured Lex Barker with a commemorative plaque. Lex Barker now has his place in the line-up next to Glenn Ford, Ronald Reagan, James Arness and John Wayne. Thankyou Kanab!

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:30 am 

This is excellent news, Marlies. :D It is long past time that one of cinema’s most handsome and charismatic stars received the attention he deserves (outside of the more enlightened regions in the remarkable world of Karl May, of course :wink: ).

I presume that news of the Hollywood star nomination process will be posted on the new Lex Barker web-site, but I would ask that if there is any way individuals can help (such as by signing a petition, as last year), you post the information here, too.

The other day, I celebrated Pierre Brice’s birthday by a viewing of Winnetou I, and was delighted all over again by how perfectly Mr Barker embodied the complex and beautiful character of Old Shatterhand/Karl May. 8)

Post subject: Karl May USA Inc.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:18 am 
Site Admin

the topic of Karl May USA Inc is now in the lounge bar.